About Me

Perth, WA, Australia
Hi friends. To those I have met in person and the many I haven't - welcome to our nest. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am a mama of six baby birds and wife to one papa bird. Our nest is an intricately woven home, crafted over time, through the highs and lows of life, and many in-betweens. We are soon to leave our Australian nest to re-locate to our second home, the UK. This is our story, of our new life in a new country, the trials and tribulations, bidding goodbye to precious friends and embracing new. I know at times, our wings will be flapping so hard to keep us moving forward that we will tire, however, a little perseverence will bring effortless gliding amongst a soft breeze, and even stronger wings for the journey ahead. Welcome to our flight......

Monday, 29 November 2010

Prancing in the Playground


I took my boys out for a date the other day.

We went out for coffee and breakfast and then to the park to play.

I was happily sitting under the shade sipping my coffee, feeling all warm and loved and high on caffeine and sugar when I was summoned by the boys to join them on the playground to play. At first I admitted I was pretty comfortable in my little spot, but one look at their eager faces and I bailed, slipped off my shoes and joined them.

So there I was on the kids playground, swinging on ropes, hanging from the monkey bars, slipping down slides and scaling climbing walls. Now here's the thing. I did none of it well. In fact, I could barely do any of it. The monkey bars hurt my arms, the slide was hard on my bony bottom, I couldn't even make it to the top of the climbing wall because my feet hurt and the ropes kept moving too fast for me to use them. It was quite a revelation as I came to terms with the fact that I was indeed too old for playground prancing. When did that happen? Probably about 20 years ago, you say. But where does that time go? Wasn't it just yesterday that I was swinging on an old tyre in a sweet floral shirred dress, my little legs pumping like mad, edging higher and higher into the air. I was happy and free, just like my boys were on that sunny morning a few days ago.

My boys, my beautiful boys, didn't mind one bit. In fact, they loved the fact that Mummy was attempting to play on the 'big kid's playground' and was failing miserably. They kept suggesting I try different apparatus to see if I could master them, which of course, I couldn't, and then they took great delight in displaying their expertise in the correct manner.

Our play was the highlight of their day, and mine. We will have to do it more often, except maybe I can find a playground that isn't built for midgets. Are there any around?

No comments:

Post a Comment