About Me

Perth, WA, Australia
Hi friends. To those I have met in person and the many I haven't - welcome to our nest. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am a mama of six baby birds and wife to one papa bird. Our nest is an intricately woven home, crafted over time, through the highs and lows of life, and many in-betweens. We are soon to leave our Australian nest to re-locate to our second home, the UK. This is our story, of our new life in a new country, the trials and tribulations, bidding goodbye to precious friends and embracing new. I know at times, our wings will be flapping so hard to keep us moving forward that we will tire, however, a little perseverence will bring effortless gliding amongst a soft breeze, and even stronger wings for the journey ahead. Welcome to our flight......

Thursday, 23 September 2010

The Forgetful Baker


Our oven has decided to retire gracefully. The fan still works but there is no heat. Kind of like a relationship that has cooled - a lot of puffing of air (ie talking) but no chemistry (or heat!), and then it just kind of fizzles out and doesn't work at all.


What has surprised me most about the out-of-service oven is how many times during this week I have forgotten it wasn't working. It made me feel really stupid when over and over I would plan a lovely delight to bake, either for dinner or a treat, and at the last minute felt the crush of disappointment - no yummy smells forthcoming any time soon. Out went my plans for quiche with homemade short crust pastry, roasted garlic and smoked ham, smashed baby potatoes, warm turkish bread, bran and whole wheat muffins etc etc. Note to Self - 'YOU CAN'T USE THE OVEN SO REMEMBER THIS IN 5 MINUTES TIME!'. I even went as far as turning the dials until I had a flash of memory. Either I have serious absent mindfulness issues (aka 'baby brain') or I am just obsessed with what I am going to eat next!


So the weekend is imminent and it is likely we will be without the poorly appliance. I think I will have to write a big 'Out of Order' sign and stick it on the front, otherwise I may find myself being hospitable (shock/surprise!) and inviting over a glut of people for a big roast dinner with all the trimmings. I can just imagine their faces when they sit down to a meal of raw roast lamb bleeding all over the table with crunchy sides!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, welcome to the AMB newbies group. Not sure what I'd do without my oven (though truth be told I rely on the microwave quite a bit anymore). Hope you get it fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me so hungry with all those yummy things! I hope its fixed soon, so your house can be filled with delicious aromas again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids definitely fry one's brains, so maybe the out-of-order sign is the answer. Meanwhile, what a great challenge to cook without the oven. Dutch oven over an open fire (Mmm, jacket spuds with a little butter), BBQ, pig on a spit, solar oven from a cardboard box and foil --- such possibilities!

    I'm a newbie at AMB too - love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to my new blogger friends! Thanks for taking the time to comment and send encouragement. The oven is still not fixed and I was planning to make cupcakes - chocolate, molten little babies to be exact!

    ReplyDelete