About Me

Perth, WA, Australia
Hi friends. To those I have met in person and the many I haven't - welcome to our nest. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am a mama of six baby birds and wife to one papa bird. Our nest is an intricately woven home, crafted over time, through the highs and lows of life, and many in-betweens. We are soon to leave our Australian nest to re-locate to our second home, the UK. This is our story, of our new life in a new country, the trials and tribulations, bidding goodbye to precious friends and embracing new. I know at times, our wings will be flapping so hard to keep us moving forward that we will tire, however, a little perseverence will bring effortless gliding amongst a soft breeze, and even stronger wings for the journey ahead. Welcome to our flight......

Sunday, 22 August 2010

Family Outing

Yesterday we went on a family outing to the local park. Six children, the dog, OBH and I. One teen on roller blades with the dog pulling her, one pre-teen on roller blades, number 3 child on a bike and fresh off his trainers, number 4 on her scooter and babies in the stroller.

We must have looked a sight - eight of us rambling along the side-walk. It wasn't much fun for me as my protective instincts were in over-drive. Every car that came by was a potential death-trap for my brood. What if one of my precious souls lost control and careened out onto the road and were flattened into the gravel? What if they fell and broke their arm or leg? What if? What if?

I ended up walking on the road and not the path in order to look in front and behind of me for any approaching vehicles, and also to avoid the various shapes and sizes of wheels that kept nipping my heels. I didn't have a lovely and joyful smile on my face. More of a stressed 'are we having fun yet' look and a nasty snarl at every passing pedestrian that dare come by my brood. Sad really.

Finally we got to the park and there they were - the rumbling, black clouds of doom, inching ever so close to us by the minute. Snacks were a bit pathetic as the pantry was sparse, so the OBH packed cereal bites and water. Hmmm yum! The kids were less than enthusiastic about that, however as they were starving, of course, they tolerated the cardboard shaped pieces infused with dried fruit and choked them down with lovely de-chlorinated tap water.

Before we knew it the clouds of doom were upon us, so we legged it home, telling the kids to pedal, cycle, roller-blade as fast as they could. Amongst shrieks of 'it's going to get us', 'the end is nigh', we made it home to safety and warmth, just as sheets of rain wrapped around us.

Our teen summed it all up by saying 'You know, we don't get out much for family outings, and this one was pretty quick, but we had better make the most of it cos you don't know if it will ever happen again'.

Never a truer word spoken!













No comments:

Post a Comment