About Me

Perth, WA, Australia
Hi friends. To those I have met in person and the many I haven't - welcome to our nest. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am a mama of six baby birds and wife to one papa bird. Our nest is an intricately woven home, crafted over time, through the highs and lows of life, and many in-betweens. We are soon to leave our Australian nest to re-locate to our second home, the UK. This is our story, of our new life in a new country, the trials and tribulations, bidding goodbye to precious friends and embracing new. I know at times, our wings will be flapping so hard to keep us moving forward that we will tire, however, a little perseverence will bring effortless gliding amongst a soft breeze, and even stronger wings for the journey ahead. Welcome to our flight......

Thursday, 19 August 2010

The Daily Grind


The life of a wife and housewife (yes, I finally admit, that is indeed what I am) can be so monotonous and boring! Same thing, day in day out. All the caring for others and the cleaning and picking up after everybody, over and over again, blah, blah, blah. It is enough to beat the best and strongest of us into total submission and make us (well, me, some days) feel as though we have just blended into the beige walls of our 4 by 2.
This morning, for instance, my OBH (other better half - but not this morning!), asked me whether I would care to take my empty mug into the kitchen. This was just as I was getting out of bed - eyes only been open for a few minutes. His words were, 'I know you don't normally do it, but just today, do you think you could pick up your own cup?' Hah! Bad, bad, way to wake up!
Watch out life partner!
My response, was not to serenely smile as the vintage housewives of past would. Actually they would have been up at dawn's break and greeted their loved ones with baked goodness, all the while looking resplendent in their waisted fitting frocks and heels with perfectly groomed hair and cherry red lips. Not me! This morning, in my daggy old tee shirt and hair looking like a bird's nest, I was as far from my vintage pre-decessors as can be.
My response was something like this, 'Soooooo, you think I don't pick up after myself huh? Maybe that is because I am too busy picking up after seven other people in the house who seem to have 'dropsy syndrome', and then I have the privilege of feeding everyone copious times a day, oh, and home schooling number two child, and then, when I am really dead on my feet, I get to run 6kms just so I can have 30 mins to myself to clear my head!'
It wasn't pretty.
OBH snuck out the door to work and hasn't been heard from since.
However, some wise and sage advice came from afar, who pointed out that this particular 'slump' I was in was neither beneficial nor productive and that I should be grateful for my lot in life and look at the positives of my day. Easier to give advice than take it, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment