About Me

Perth, WA, Australia
Hi friends. To those I have met in person and the many I haven't - welcome to our nest. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am a mama of six baby birds and wife to one papa bird. Our nest is an intricately woven home, crafted over time, through the highs and lows of life, and many in-betweens. We are soon to leave our Australian nest to re-locate to our second home, the UK. This is our story, of our new life in a new country, the trials and tribulations, bidding goodbye to precious friends and embracing new. I know at times, our wings will be flapping so hard to keep us moving forward that we will tire, however, a little perseverence will bring effortless gliding amongst a soft breeze, and even stronger wings for the journey ahead. Welcome to our flight......

Thursday, 12 August 2010

Constant Interruptions ..


I live in the 'House of Constant Interruptions'. Minute by minute, hour by hour, my days are filled with starts and fits and unfinished business. The most awful part is when I actually manage to do something, uninterrupted for 5 whole minutes, and the panic sets in. How much longer will this blissful peace last? My heart starts racing and my hands work double-time just so I can actually complete something, anything! When will the task at hand be shattered by a little one calling out 'Muuuuummmmmmyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!, can you, will you, he did, she did, they did, the dog did a poo, the baby spewed!'. But ..... I have varying tactics in place when this scenario appears:

One - ignore the wailing, whining, crying, shouting etc etc etc, and leg-it to the nearest exit. In most cases this will be the wardrobe, pantry or the shower. Crouch into a ball, rock slowly and hum quietly and try to imagine myself somewhere else.
This invariably fails and nobody even questions why Mummy would be meditating in the shower with her clothes on and her eyes closed. Little ones just exclaim 'There you are!' 'Will you wipe my bottom?'

Two - This one I use a lot. I pretend I cannot hear. I am deaf and mute to little ones' voices. This can stretch my task at hand for another 3 minutes tops but does mean that I have to try and switch off from repeated requests. Usually the voices start from another room and when no response is given, the repeat button is switched on. Something like this: Mummy, Mummy, Mummy, Mummy, Mummy, Mummy, Muuuuuummmmmmyyyyyy, can you hear me????? Mummy, what's wrong? Why aren't you opening your mouth? Mummy speak? Mummy, Mummy, Mummy etc etc etc. Quite effective if you are good at environmental displacement.

Third - is the mumble response. Partially here, partially there. More of a grunt than anything else. Quite unattractive, but teenagers (I hear) are genius' at it. I can keep working but just throw in the odd inflection and noise every now and then, if a long story is being told or someone needs to get something off their chest. Again, quite effective, but not good manners to teach your children.

And Lastly, there is the appropriate response, which of course, all good and perfect mothers do all of the time. They immediately stop what they are doing at the sound of 'cherubs call', get down on their level, smile serenely, make eye contact, speak calmly and with love and grace, enquire of their needs.

Gotta go ... I am practicing the last one!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, love the new look...........there is a fourth response you know.......wine !!

    ReplyDelete